Thursday 30 July 2009

The review of Summer

Summer is an interesting time of year. For some people. For others, like me it’s an excuse to avoid the sun at almost any cost. So here, as a welcome back present, it’s my review of some of the films I’ve watched (and re-watched) in my many venues for holiday fun these past few weeks.

My travels first took me to Greece, where I watched Superbad about 4 times alternating between having the commentary on and off.
Rating: ****
I also watched the DVD extras which gave me something new to laugh about. That 2-disc edition is literally essential for a Superbad fan.
Rating: *****

I also bit the bullet and finally saw Children Of Men, which I’ve been told by everyone ever is a fantastic film. Note to people: yeah, you’re right.
Rating: ****

Ron Howard’s classic Parenthood is a very under-appreciated film despite the amazing cast. Steve Martin’s best role? Go on, then.
Rating: *****

In Bruges got its fair share of plays in all locations. It remains at ***** and retains its #1 spot on my all-time favourites list.

Next up was Devon where the screwball comedy fan in me got to express himself in all his glory. My week in DVD here consisted of:

Airplane!, perhaps the first and best modern screwball. I have nothing more to say on this fantastic film except GO SEE IT
Rating: ****

Liar Liar, another fine choice for the comedy fan. If you haven’t seen it, find out the nearest institution to admit yourself to.
Rating: *****

Harvey. My dad’s favourite film. Get past the age of the film (59 years old) and enjoy one of the finest pieces of American cinema ever. Better than It’s a Wonderful Life.
Rating: *****

As well as all this, I also ended up watching Come Dine With Me on a near-daily basis. To this day, I still am.

The final leg of my travels took me close to home, but still away from home nonetheless. Here, I experienced (and made others experience) yet more of Woody Allen’s genius in two of his greatest achievements to date: Vicky Cristina Barcelona (*****) and Everyone Says I Love You (**** - stay tuned for a bigger piece on this one)

I also dipped my toes into the tranquil pastures of some fucking gory horror stuff in the form of 28 Days Later (*****) and Repo! The Genetic Opera (***)

I managed to see a film that’s been haunting me for years yet always remained elusive in The 40 Year-Old Virgin, it really is funny.
Rating: ****
Rewatching Thank You For Smoking and Watchmen in the past few days gave me a freshened yet similar view on them both, too: They’re fucking amazing
Rating for both: ****

In cinema, I managed to see Harry Potter 6 which, as any self-respecting human being with half a brain will tell you, is OK.
Rating: ***

That’s all for now, Next stop, Moon.

Not literally.
share on: facebook

0 comments: