Tuesday 15 July 2008

Review: Wall-E

Part 1
I have now watched the first 30 minutes of Wall-E.
It's an absolute classic. A cinematic delight so rare I can remember every moment, yet want to see it all again. Wall-E is an absolutely heartbreaking character, whether he's panicking over where to put a spork he's found (in the spoon section or the fork section?) or folding himself into a cube, rocking himself to sleep (a stunningly sad moment in the film). I almost wish they had made that part of the film longer, we see only 15 minutes of Wall-E being Wall-E, before EVE is introduced. I'm pleased with EVE, it could have been so easy for her to irritate me after denying me more undoubtedly adorable Wall-E escapades, but his futile efforts to impress her as the story progresses are just as endearing and enjoyable to witness.

The first 3o minutes of the film features almost no dialogue from the main characters. Wall-E says only 2 words: "directive" and "Eva" (he can't seem to say "Eve"). I find it amazing how such a film managed to keep my attention, nay, keep me in rapture for that entire time. I can't wait to see the final 60 minutes of this film. But to be honest, this first third has told me almost all I need to know.

Part 2
So how does Wall-E impress on the big screen? Pretty damn well, actually. The opening half hour obviously a highlight in the experience. However after EVE shuts down, we are treated to a few more blissful moments of Wall-E's frustrated solitude. The thing with this film I think, is that as soon as the story moved on, and Wall-E embarks into space, I missed what had gone on before. Don't get me wrong, the story moves along in a very compelling and exhilarating fashion. Mo the robot is introduced, with a personal vendetta against the mess Wall-E leaves behind as he happily scoots alongside the still non-functional EVE. The autopilot, another robot is introduced, a definite throwback to HAL 9000. More so than the film originally lets on.

Although the third act is bigger, louder and with plenty more robots, it does seem to stall slightly. I felt as though my utter encapsulation with Wall-E living his life was interrupted by his expedition into space, and really during the space act, although it was still very, very good, I just wanted him to go home and shovel up some more rubbish.

All in all, the film falls short of Pixar classics such as Monsters, Inc. and the Toy Stories, but with all that heart, Wall-E himself carries the film beyond expectations and becomes definitively one of the most compelling characters in animation history.

Rating: ****+
Sequel: If they can make it work, I'd love to see more of Wall-E
Best Bit: The opening 15 minutes. An absolute triumph.
share on: facebook

0 comments: