Thursday 30 April 2009

Review: The Wrestler


I never got round to seeing the Wrestler in a cinema. Honestly, I feel like it’s the biggest mistake I ever made. Fuck Bambi, fuck Titanic and fuck P.S. I Love You, The Wrestler is the single most emotionally pitch-perfect film I have ever seen. And I’ll admit it, it made me cry.

The Wrestler sees a “return” from Mickey Rourke into the world of acting (Although as I recall, he did a pretty nifty job in Sin City in 2005, still, people like an inspirational story, even if it is a little exaggerated) and it;s like he never left. At the risk of sounding like 97% (according to RT) of the critics before me, he’s PERFECT in this role. Rourke single-handedly dominates this already small (and wonderful) cast which makes it all the more spectacular. It’s an absolute wonder to see a man on top of his game at the most unlikely of times in his career.

I have to say, also, I was so upset when Sean Penn won his “Best Actor” award at the Oscars. Milk was an overrated film to begin with, in my opinion and there was no way anyone did any better than Mickey last year. Sorry, Penn but you’re a thief.

The Wrestler’s plot sounds simple: an old Wrestler from the 80’s is doing the independent circuit, living in a trailer park and refusing to move past his glory days, clinging on to any nostalgia he can in an all-too fast-moving world. I don’t want to give too much away on the plot, I was advised by a friend, very wisely to not look ANYTHING up on it before watching. Apart from this review, obviously, but you can trust me. It works as well. Such a low-key concept on paper is transformed into something that is so much more on screen. It’s pound-for-pound the most beautiful and well-acted script in years.

With a $6 million budget, an all-but washed out star (who didn’t even get paid initially) and a single line summarising the premise, it;s surprising The Wrestler was given the chance it was. But it took that chance and the results are astonishing. Perfection.

Rating: *****

The Wrestler is out JUNE 1 on DVD and Blu-Ray. Find it at any retailer - PLEASE!
share on: facebook

0 comments: