Friday 26 September 2008

Review: Planes, Trains and Automobiles

On a cold, satisfying Christmas morning in 2004, I first experienced the delight of the classic film Planes, Trains and Automobiles.
In 2008, I watched it again, on probably about my 15th viewing. Having scratched my previous DVD, this was a new one. I rarely cry at films, in face only one or two have ever made me actually well up. Planes, Trains, on it's umpteenth viewing, made me weep.

Planes, Trains and Automobiles tells the story of Neal Page (Steve Martin) trying to get home for Thanksgiving. After a botched (well, 2) attempts to get a cab, he finds himself bumped form from First Class on his flight, later to be grounded in Wichita due to weather. It's here he meets Del Griffiths (John Candy), an infuriatingly cheerful motormouth with a sincere desire to make friends with Neal. It's got all the real conventions of a 90-minute dispensable cheap-laughs comedy. However, what separates this charming slice of American cinema from today's Scary Movie and Just Friends is exactly what's missing from too much modern comedy flicks. Heart. Right at the center of this outrageously hilarious film lies another, softer, meaningful layer. Fuck Neal's wife, the one bad thing about this film. I'm talking the relationship between these two men as they attempt to travel 791 miles (Thanks, Google Maps) for Neal to get home.

Both Martin and Candy play their roles with class and distinction, but as the film progresses, it's Candy's character who develops more, despite Neal being the more central character. Behind Del's annoying persona, there's great tragedy and sadness in his eyes as he delivers every line. He's the true miracle of the film, and the hero, once all's said and done.

Right, but HOW FUNNY IS IT? It's a comedy after all.
It's hilarious. never before has the "Things can't get much worse" genre been as enthralling. I want to ruin nothing of the actual plot, nothing. But the way the film careers from planes, to trains, and then to automobiles is an absolute delight to witness, even if it's torture for the characters.

I'm halfway through what I expected my review to be but, you know what? It's unreviewable.

This film is a classic, criminally underrated even today. it's the finest example of simple comedy. Watch it, rent it, buy it now.

*****
share on: facebook

0 comments: