Sunday 24 May 2009

Review: Brick


You’ve probably heard of Brick. And Probably haven’t seen it. The first time I saw it was years back. And I only watched it then because Emilie De Ravin was in it (I’m not a pervert, just an overly motivated Lost fan). In 2006 I guess I must have been a little immature to process Brick because I thought it was weird as hell and, as a result, didn’t like it very much. Braving it again last night, I found out just how wrong I had been.

The film stars Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Brendan Frye. A quick search of the internet finds his performance in Brick has been compared more often than not to the actors of yesteryear. “Neo-noir” also seems to be a buzzword in reviews of Brick. So I won’t waste time by commenting on that, despite the fact it’s true. Anyway, Brendan is possibly one of the best characters in any film I’ve seen in a long time. It’s almost futile to sit here and write out what makes him such a powerful force onscreen, because I’d be sitting for hours trying to think what to say and then realise I couldn’t. It’s refreshing, Brendan is fearless and terrified at the same time, employing virtually every asset he has to find out just what happened to his now-deceased girlfriend (only not really), Emily (Emilie de Ravin).

The trailer for Brick gives a little too much away, so jump in cold and experience the results that way. It’s gripping and raw and there’s only the very briefest of points where the mind begins to wander. What sets Brick apart from most crime dramas is, initially of course, the setting. When was the last time you saw a good murder mystery set in a high school? That’s what I thought.

I usually get very uncomfortable with films like this. I find myself empathising and beginning to thank the lord I don’t exist in such a time and place. The whole world-of-drugs-gritty-underbelly thing really gets to me, although maybe I’m just a wimp. With Brick, however, I did want to be there. I wanted to be Brendan and experience the way he planned things out, the way things fell into place in his head and the way he tied up loose ends on instinct alone. The performances made it real and the result was something stunning.

Brick reminds you just how imperfect life is, and how awful people can be, regardless of age. It’s a powerful, thoughtful and, occasionally funny piece with much more of a plot than the first 30 minutes might suggest.

****
share on: facebook

0 comments: