Thursday 7 May 2009

Review: A Complete History Of My Sexual Failures

Yes, it is true what they say. Well, actually there is no saying for this situation, but if there was one I imagine it’d be something like “If you’re completely f***ing crazy, you’ll have completely f***ing crazy relationships.” No-one told this to Chris Waits, who, after 13 (to his initial count) failed relationships, decides to take a journey, and interview the women of his life he let down.

The interesting (or not) point about this film above all was that, despite his candid approach to filming, by this I mean turning up to people’s houses when he had been refused beforehand, interviewing people he’s never met on how to get an erection and later asking strangers on the streets of central London for sex. Despite these admittedly amusing moments, I found myself more interested in the setting. Much of the opening of the film plays out in Glasgow, my hometown. I noticed shops I go to, restaurants I like and places I walk. The film for me was more like Google Street View to begin with.

As the film progresses, it becomes more and more obvious Chris is actually, with the best will in the world, insane. Here, I lost empathy for a man I felt had been given a rough time, and was just a little... odd? Sorry, but this idea was wasted on him. With such a good idea for a documentary, it was the wrong person to back with it. However, a good idea’s a good idea and the pay-off is unexpected and a nice touch. Go with it, and you’ll enjoy it.

Rating: ***
share on: facebook

0 comments: